As we grow older, the impacts of sun exposure, gravity, and the stresses of life can become more noticeable on our faces. For instance, loss of volume can cause your facial skin to lose volume, sag, and develop wrinkles. Unfortunately, this might make you look older and more tired than you are. The good news is that it is possible to turn back the hand of time and achieve a younger-looking facial appearance through facelift surgery. But what is facelift surgery, and what does it entail? Here is everything you need to know about the procedure.
What Is Facelift Surgery?
Facelift surgery is a cosmetic surgical procedure whose goal is to remove some visible facial signs of aging. In the medical world, the procedure is also known as rhytidectomy. The procedure essentially involves tightening the facial skin, removing the excess skin, and manipulating the underlying tissue to give a patient a more youthful and rested facial contour. If you decide to go for a facelift with neck lift surgery, your surgeon will also remove excess fat and skin in the neck to produce even more dramatic results.
The Right Candidate for Facelift Surgery
Like any other surgical procedure, not everyone qualifies for facelift surgery. In addition to having the desire to have a more youthful facial appearance, a good candidate for facelift surgery should:
- Have realistic expectations. The goal should not be to look like someone else since the results are going to be unique.
- Be in good physical health and not have any medical condition that could compromise the healing process.
- Be a nonsmoker. If you smoke, you should be willing to quit the habit. This is because, in addition to causing poor healing, smoking can work against your objectives since it might accelerate the aging process.
What You Can Expect During Facelift Surgery?
Facelift surgery is usually performed under general anesthesia or IV sedation. Therefore, before your surgeon can make any incisions, an appropriate anesthesia medication will be administered. This will ensure you don’t experience any discomfort during the procedure.
- Once the anesthesia mediation has taken effect, your surgeon will make the necessary incisions, depending on the type of facelift surgery you are looking for.
- The facial skin will be lifted, and the surgeon will manipulate the underlying tissue.
- The fat may be removed or redistributed.
- If there is a need for a neck lift, the necessary incisions will also be made to allow the surgeon to remove the excess fat.
- Finally, the excess skin will be removed, and the incisions will be closed with sutures or skin adhesives.
Risks Associated With Facelift Surgery
Although facelift surgery is quite safe and effective, especially when it is performed by a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon, it is not without some risks. Some of the risks associated with the procedure include:
- Blood clots
- Excessive bleeding
- Persistent pain
- Loss of sensation
- Surgical site infection
- Poor healing
- Suboptimal aesthetic results
- Unfavorable scarring
- Permanent or temporary hair loss
Therefore, before you can sign the consent to undergo facelift surgery, you need to discuss these risks with your cosmetic surgeon. If you have any questions or concerns, a board-certified plastic surgeon will be happy to address them.
Facelift Surgery FAQs
How Long Does Facelift Surgery Take?
Facelift surgery is usually performed on an outpatient basis. In most cases, the surgical procedure itself should take two to three hours. However, preoperative and postoperative processes will take more time. Therefore, although you will most likely be allowed to go home the same day, you shouldn’t be in a hurry when going for the procedure.
How Much Does Facelift Surgery Cost?
Of course, the cost of the procedure will vary on a case-to-case basis. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the average cost of facelift surgery is about $8,005. However, it is important to note that this is just a part of the total cost. Therefore, you need to talk to your surgeon to get a more accurate estimate.
Will the Procedure Leave me With Scars?
Like any other surgical procedure, there is a good chance that you will get some scars. However, your surgeon will make the incisions in a way that will minimize scarring. Besides, if you have long hair, you can use it to conceal the scars. Therefore, even though the procedure might leave you with scars, you should not worry too much about them.
How Painful Is Facelift Surgery?
The procedure will most likely be done under general anesthesia. This means that you will be unconscious throughout the procedure, and you will not experience any pain or discomfort. But during the early days of the recovery period, you may experience some painful moments. However, you can rest easy since your surgeon will prescribe the right pain medications to help you manage pain throughout the recovery period.