The pain at the back of the knee happens due to a lot of reasons. Some of its remedies are pretty common while some needs serious medical treatment. The knee bears a lot of impact from the everyday activities. This damage can be avoided by reducing strain on the joint. The treatment of the leg pain behind the knee will vary depending on your condition.
The Causes of Leg Pain behind the Knee
1. Leg Cramps
Leg cramps happen when the muscles become too tight. This might happen due to the overwork of that muscle or the muscle may be used heavily without being stretched. Also, there are some other reasons for leg cramps which will, in turn, cause the leg pain behind the knee.
- Liver Diseases
- Nerve Issues
- Excessive Toxins in the Blood
2. Baker’s Cyst
It is a liquid that gets created on the back of the knee which leads to the pain and swelling. At first, one may not be able to notice it as small cysts do not cause any pain. However, as the time passes, it will grow in size and shift to surrounding muscles which will put pressure on the tendons and nerves causing gruesome pain.
3. Runner’s Knee
It is the tiring down of the cartilage in the joint of the knee. When there is no cartilage, the bones of the knee rub together, causing an aching and dull leg pain behind the knee. Let’s have look at some symptoms of runner’s knee.
- Weakness in the Leg and Knee
- Restricted Motion of the knee and leg
- Random Buckling of the Knee
- A Sense of Crackling when the Knee Bends
The Prevention of the Leg Pain behind the Knee
The first and the foremost thing you need to make sure in order to prevent leg pain behind the knee is the proper stretching of the quads, calves, and hamstrings. It will help the muscles to respond to the daily activities. Also, the ‘RICE’ treatment can be of your help.
- R- Resting the legs
- I- Icing the knees
- C- Compressing the area with the help of an elastic bandage
- E- Elevating the injured leg
Some Interesting Facts about Leg Pain behind the Knee
- There can be multiple causes for this kind of pain
- The primary treatment for this pain is preventing the injury from worsening
- There are instances where the causes of this pain are either fatigue or not stretching before the exercise
If someone is facing leg pain behind the knee for a couple days, they should consult a doctor immediately in order to heal properly and avoid any chances of complications.